Thursday, November 15, 2007

If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. (Thomas A. Edison)

I know, this is a really horrible picture of me. My client took it this evening while we were at the park. We had gone there to knit by the water, which is an incredibly peaceful activity. The two of spent about an hour knitting and chatting, until it started to get dark. I wish I could post a picture of my client -- she's doing so well with her knitting! She's the third person this month that I've taught to knit. I think I'm on my way to becoming a knitting evangelist.

I'm also posting the promised picture of Becky's Christmas stocking. I had a lot of trouble doing the name. I probably should have just done duplicate stitch (putting the name on after the stocking was knitted), but I had my heart set on actually knitting the name into the stocking. It became one of those "if I had known it was impossible before I did it, I never would have done it" things. Intarsia really isn't a technique that adapts well to knitting in the round. (What happens is that your second color of yarn ends up on the wrong side when you go to the next round). I had some helpful advice from the Sock Knitters group I belong to in Yahoo, including give up and do duplicate stitch like an experienced knitter. I also was told how to knit&slip stitches/purl&slip stitches in order to get the pattern to come out. I can't remember the name of the woman who advised me right now, but I owe her a really big thank you!


No comments: