Friday, January 18, 2008

Anyone, provided that he can be amusing, has the right to talk to himself. (Charles Baudelaire)


I was thinking about my post for today, and had decided that using "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" was just a little too something (trite, meme-ish, cutesy) to continue to do on Fridays. But guess what I discovered on Kristy's blog* - a Good, Bad, and Ugly post! So if it's good enough for Kristy, it's still good enough for me.

*I think I've mentioned kristyk.org before. It's one of the blogs that I read faithfully. She's really very good -- her writing style is much better than mine, and a lot more interesting. If you haven't found this out for yourself, be sure to go take a look.


The Good

  • I finished reading Atonement today. Although I didn't read this as fast as I usually read a book, it wasn't the fault of the book. I just haven't been reading much at all lately, because my glasses are really beginning to annoy me. Atonement was really very good. There are layers of language and meaning that just beg to be rolled around on your tongue and in your mind. The imagery is beautiful, and brings to mind Written Pictures. I had gone to see the movie 'Atonement' when my daughter was visiting, and I recommend both the movie and the book.

  • It's Girl Scout cookie time and one of the ladies I work with is Cookie Mom for her daughter's troop. So I was able to indulge in several boxes of Thin Mints, Shortbreads, Peanut Butter Patties, and Caramel deLites totally guilt-free since it's for such a good cause. (I wasn't the only one who indulged. She managed to sell a total of three cases of cookies just at work today, and was made to promise to bring more in on Monday!)

  • Today has been a gourmand's heaven. In addition to the cookies, I had some wonderful garlic Alfredo shrimp with penne pasta for lunch. The niece of one of our instructors is opening a restaurant, and she practices on our staff. I think all of us kept eating long after we were full, just because it was so good! Then this afternoon I finally opened the box of Cello cherries that I've been hoarding.

The Bad

  • I had a call from my daughter today. There's a problem with her financial aid and student loan again. It seems like every semester we go through this. I wish I could win the lottery so that I could afford to just pay her tuition and not bother with this mess all the time. Instead, she had to make several calls and I had to redo some last minute paperwork, and now we just have to cross our fingers and hope they let her go to class in the morning.

  • Somehow this morning I showed up at work without my laptop. As I was getting ready and traveling to work, I kept thinking how nice it was to not have so much to carry around today. It never occurred to me to wonder why. I got in to work a little early, settled my purse and knitting in my desk, and went to put on the tea kettle. I was thinking that I'd have just enough time to set up the computer while the tea brewed when it dawned on me what I had done. Of course I had to rush back home to get it, so I was officially late to work.

The Ugly

  • I had a temper tantrum today. A couple of them, actually. All aimed at my younger children. They both spent the day at their friends' houses, and neither of them managed to remember to call me when they were supposed to. Nor did they answer any of my calls to them. Which means that I've been paying a huge sum of money each month to the phone company so that everyone has cell phones available to ignore me with. In my worry and frustration, I think I may have been a little irrational. (They probably aren't really going to stay grounded and phoneless until they're 89 years old.)

No comments: