Monday, January 28, 2008

Beware of undertaking too much at the start. Be content with quite a little. Allow for accidents.

Allow for human nature, especially your own. (Arnold Bennett)


We finally managed to catch Philly huddled in the corner,
after he managed to get out of the $90 "escape-proof" cage!

I finished reading "Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced & Covered in Cat Hair." It was supposed to be a comedic look at the life of a knitter after divorce. A fun, pick-yourself-up-and-deal-with-it-while-laughing type of a book. And it probably was. No, it definitely was. After all, I purchased it after only reading far enough to find this quote (which is now officially my favorite quote!):
Besides, as a knitter, you are armed at all times with two very sharp sticks, some sturdy string, and well-concealed scissors. And that's a very comforting thing.
But somehow, I missed most of the funny parts. I think I was too busy crying my way through it. You would think that after 10 years of being divorced, I would be over the whole thing. I've been divorced almost (not quite, but almost) as long as I was married. You would think that I was over it all by now. And mostly I am. But as Laurie Perry described her misadventure as a married woman learning to be single again, I found myself remembering it all too well -- the horrible feeling of failure, the depression, the desire to drink heavily (which was terrible for me, since I don't drink).

At risk of providing a spoiler to the book, she does grow above the depression and even manages to get out and date again. (I need to go re-read that chapter again.) So there is the happy ending filled with hope and strength and self-empowerment through sticks and string.

Oh, and there are knitting patterns included. Mostly scarfs and hats. But also the cutest little bracelet purse that I want to go cast on tonight.

No comments: