Saturday, January 26, 2008

And now the sequence of events in no particular order. (Dan Rather)

I got to do a lot of knitting this morning, so the Ch'ear'ful socks are finished and the Blues Brother's socks are on the needles. While knitting, I listened to several more episodes of Knitwit's podcast. The more I listen, the more I like her podcast. When she was talking about cats and dogs, I actually found myself laughing hysterically. Which would have been okay, if I hadn't been out in public at the time.

It's not the first time that I've been embarrassed in public. Since I'm a mom, I guess that statement's pretty much a given. Every mom has had a turn being embarrassed in public. My mom still tells the story of when I threw a tantrum in a store.

I was about four, and was usually pretty well behaved. Or rather, I was quieter than my cousins, who would fuss and cry and tantrum to get what they wanted. I usually settled on just pouting. But one day I decided to try it their way. According to my mom, I laid down on the floor, kicked my feet a couple of times, and fussed for about two minutes. Then I sat up and looked around to see if it was working. It wasn't, so I stood up and went back to just pouting.

Mom has gotten her own back, by the way, in the form of her grandson. Unlike me, he was self-taught, practiced often, and was very good at it.

But I digress. I'm supposed to be talking about a time that I embarrassed myself. The trouble is that I have so many examples.

I like to sing in the car. And I tend to "dance" while I'm singing. One day, a really good song was on the radio, and I was really enjoying the music. I was singing out loud -- really loud -- and shimmying to the beat. Don't worry, the light was red so there was no danger. I just kept singing out loud and sticking to the theory that volume overcomes lack of key. I happened to glance over to the car next to me, and that driver had a big grin as he watched me. I looked away, right into the car on my other side. That driver was also grinning at me. That's when I realized my windows were down and everyone was getting to hear my free concert. I was never so grateful for a light to turn green!

No comments: