Monday, July 18, 2011

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. (Aristophanes)


This week's wine selection is Condado De Eguren Tempranillo. My friend Paula's husband had recommended a tempranillo for me to try when I first got interested in learning about wines. Tempranillo is a grape grown mostly in Spain. When I asked at the wine shop, they recommended the Condado De Eguren as a good tempranillo. And as usual, I liked their recommendation.

 I drank this room temperature, and ran it through my aerator first. My first thought was that it was a very light wine. Researching tempranillos, I learned that they do tend to be light, with low alcohol and heavy acid. The Condado De Eguren was a dark ruby, with a fruity nose. There may be a little bit of leathery notes, but I'm really going more on my research than what I noticed since my nose is still just learning. I did find the taste to be soft and fruity, and almost sweet. I thought it left a puckering feel, which might actually make sense with a high acid content.

All in all, I liked this wine. It's a good sipping wine, which isn't how I normally think of a red wine (other than my favorite port, of course). In the class I took, they recommended having a favorite "house" wine in both the red and white as you build your wine cellar. This tempranillo just might become my house red.

1 comment:

Paula L said...

Ross will be so happy to hear you like it!