Friday, July 15, 2011

I found knitting!

It was a ridiculous book. Of course, a lot of the stuff I read is just ridiculous. But as I've said before, I happen to appreciate junk romances. They go well with m&m's and wine.

Anyway, I was reading Beauty and the Beast, by Taylor Ryan. I won't bother going into the plot, other than it was a regency romance so you can assume girl meets boy, girl is demure while boy is needy, girl falls for boy, boy turns out to be rich jerk, girl rejects boy, boy then falls for girl, and they live happily forever after. Oh, I guess I did just give you the entire plot. Sorry.

Anyway, this particular romance turned out to have kniterary references. The first one is about mid-way through the book:

"Miss Penwell, I suspect you are poking fun of me!" Claymore accused..."One would think you enjoy being housebound by foul weather."

"Housebound? Oh, I suppose I don't mind, though it's always a good thing to have candles, some tobacco, a pack of cards, perhaps a little whiskey in the house, like a sailors preparing for a storm." She glanced out the window for a moment, then returned to her work. "Also knitting needles and wool for the women, a well-stocked library..."
It sounds a lot like my own storm supplies.

Later, knitting comes up again.

To take her mind off her worries, Marke had attempted to knit, but she soon threw the needles and ball of wool into the chair opposite her in irritation at her incompetence.

It's amazing how often knitting appears in books, once you start looking for it.

No comments: