Monday, November 23, 2009

You can't organize clutter. (Marla Cilley, aka Flylady)

This is what my room looked like Friday morning.

Everything else in the new apartment has been either unpacked, stored, or gotten rid of. It looks good. Until you get to my room. I couldn't find anyplace to put all the sewing materials and scrapbooking supplies (not to mention all the techno-gadgets and office stuff that I tend to collect), and yet I couldn't bear to get rid of any of it. The cardboard boxes piled up along the wall just didn't reek of interior design. I did think that maybe I could use a couple of yards of material and drape a cover over it all, but that was just the desperation talking.

(Luckily the knitting stash has it's own closet now, and the rubber stamps are contained in the library catalog, otherwise the pile of boxes would have been overwhelming.)

Friday evening, since I had an evening without the children around, I ran down to Faith Farm and found this cabinet. There was a sale going on, so I only paid $50 for it.

Of course, I totally forgot that without the children around to help carry it inside, the cabinet had to stay in my jeep. But my daughter and her friends came back home on Saturday, and we managed to get the cabinet up the stairs and into the apartment. Actually, a neighbor took pity on us and helped as well. Otherwise the cabinet would probably still be sitting on my toe in the parking lot.

Since then, I've been emptying boxes one by one and the room looks so much better! I still have to hang some pictures, but I love how much bigger the room is without all the clutter.



In case you were wondering where the clutter went to:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great cabinet! We just moved into a new office, so I am dealing with quite a cluttered mess right now... thanks for the inspiration! (ICLW)

MarjnHomer said...

great cabinet for a great price. If you ever need someone to toss out things for you, get someone who is not attached to it and walk away. My sister, the youngest does this for me.

Laura Brown said...

I'm awful when it comes to clutter. But I only allow it to take over one room so that is kind of good. Or at least not really bad, maybe. lol

Happy US Thanksgiving and Happy IComWeLeave.

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron said...

$50? That's a steal for something that looks like it was made to organize crafting supplies. Well done.