Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Both of your socks should always be the same color. Or they should at least both be fairly dark. Dave Barry

It's already Wednesday, which means it's time for the weekly WIPs and FOs. And of course today I have lots of other stuff I could be talking about, like cupcakes, turkey, and goldfish. But I guess those stories will keep for another day. Because I really am excited about my knitting this week.

I didn't finish anything, but look how far I got on the Riva sweater:

The back is finished, and I'm about a quarter way up the front. Since this is a sleeveless tank, it means I really could be wearing this for Thanksgiving. (That's one of the advantages of living in Florida -- it's still warm enough to wear tank tops. In fact, we can still go out to the pool after dinner to work off all those turkey & stuffing calories.)

I love the little bit of faux cable pattern up the front. After an entire back of plain stockinette stitch, this is keeping it interesting without losing the "mindless" knitting advantage.


I haven't neglected my Gypsy monkeys. Or at least, I haven't neglected them too much. I finished all six pattern repeats on the leg of the first one, as well as one complete pattern repeat on the second leg. This pair is going a little bit slower because I find I do have to think as I knit. With the solid color Monkeys, it was easy to glance down and see where I was in the pattern. Because of the variegated colors, the pattern isn't showing up as clearly and I actually have to keep track of which row I'm on. It's still a fun knit, just not one that I can do when talking with others.


I can't wait to wear them! Although after today, I'm not sure about wearing them to work.

I wore my favorite Noro socks today. Now I love my Noro socks, even though the colors didn't match up. They're fun. And even though they were stiff in the beginning, I've worn and washed them so much that they wear like your favorite pair of jeans.

One of our new students came up to me this morning, very excited to be at program. She started off by telling me that she missed me, and loved me, and was happy to see me. As we're talking, she shows me her new outfit. Of course I admired how nice she looked in it. Then I pointed out my socks, and asked her how she liked them.

"Oh, no. I don't," she told me.
"Why not?" I wanted to know. "They're my favorite socks. Don't you think they're pretty?"
"No. I don't like them. And I don't like you."

Her instructor tried to reason with her.
"Sandi's nice. You've always liked her. Why don't you like her now?"
"Her socks don't match."

And that was that.

2 comments:

Lou said...

I *love* your mismatched Noro socks. They look wonderfully cosy. the Monkeys are looking good as well - I really like that colourway.

Sandi said...

Thank you!

I wore a different pair of handknit socks on Friday, and my student apparently liked those better because she's back to liking me again. LOL