Sunday, November 01, 2009

Live in the sunshine, swim in the sea, drink the wild air... (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

I went out to the pool again this evening. I have to admit, there is something really nice about living in Florida where you can still swim comfortably in the fall. And I'm proud of myself for taking advantage of this fact.

Once upon a time, I would not have dared to go down to the pool by myself. I wouldn't have felt comfortable being there by myself. Plus there's the danger of swimming alone. But lately, I've become a bit more confident. If I want to do something, I go ahead and do it - even if there isn't anyone else around to do it with. If the kids don't want to go swimming with me, I'll go alone. And I have a great time. I float around in the pool for a while. Then I treat myself to a session in the hot tub (which is a great place to read!), then it's back to the pool to cool off. It helps that the pool in my apartment complex is really wonderful; it's like being at an expensive resort. I've been going down for an evening swim most evenings lately.

I'm getting better at going ahead and doing other things, too, even when I can't get someone else to come along. I've been to the beach by myself, and I went out to dinner alone (I even left my book in the car!), and I managed to go shopping for shoes alone. (That was a really big one, as my girls are well aware. I didn't buy anything, but I did try several pairs on.)

Funny thing, though. Now that I'm getting out more by myself, I'm beginning to think that it might be nice to have someone special along. Huh. Who would have thought that?

No comments: