Sunday, November 08, 2009

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. (Aaron Rose)

The other day I talked about the Burt Reynolds Park in Jupiter. Just down the street from that park is a much more popular place to visit, the Jupiter Lighthouse.

The Lighthouse is one of those places that you recommend to tourists, but as a resident I never managed to stop and take a tour. My daughter's visit in October prompted us to make the climb, and I'm glad we did.

Actually, though, I didn't make the climb to the top of the Lighthouse. I wanted to. And I tried really hard to do it. But I'm deathly afraid of heights, and only made it to the first landing (about a third of the way) before totally freezing in a panic. But from the pictures my daughter took, the view would have been well worth climbing the metal spiraling steps.

What surprised me is the history that the Lighthouse offered. World War II was much closer to home than I had ever been taught in school. Apparently several German submarines were anchored just off the coast of Florida. Their purpose was to sink American ships carrying oil and machinery to the European Allies. Between 1942 and 1943, German U-Boats managed to sink 111 Allied ships off the Florida coast. At least eight ships were torpedoed just off the Jupiter Inlet.

In 1942, the United States Navy leased land surrounding the Jupiter Lighthouse to establish Station J. Towers were erected, reportedly so that our men could listen in on the German radio transmissions. Our tour guide, an lively gentleman, remembers those days of his childhood and expressed his great pride that Jupiter's Station J played a major role in deciphering the German codes, helping to put an end to the war.



The Lighthouse is still a working Coast Guard facility. Visitors are encouraged to come and tour the Lighthouse and Museum. And I intend to make the trip again. Maybe next time I can make it to the second landing!

No comments: