Friday, November 27, 2009

Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are. (Anthelme Brillat-Savarin)

While my daughter was doing this:

I was doing this:
I think I had a lot more fun. Especially since instead of standing in a red ant pile, I got to turn the heel on my socks.

While I was knitting, I tried to think of something for Friday's Favorites. But my mind is still on all the baking I did this week. (Okay, I'm really just thinking of all the pie left in the refrigerator; it's tough deciding which one I want a piece of for dessert tonight).

This week's favorites would have to be family recipes. My family has always liked getting together for meals, whether it was a major holiday (Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving), or just a potluck picnic at the park. Everyone has their specialties that they make for our get-togethers. And there are special dishes that are just expected. Thanksgiving wouldn't be right without Gramma's yeast rolls. Or Nana's pumpkin chiffon pie. Luckily I had the recipes for these, and for Aunt Dina's impossible pie as well.

It's not really that the food is important. It's more the family history and the memories that the food represents.

There are always new favorites, too,like Becka's chocolate chip cheesecake or Funeral Corn. By next year, I bet these will be "traditional" as well.

No comments: