Friday, November 06, 2009

The excellence of a gift lies in its appropriateness rather than in its value. (Charles Dudley Warner)




I have cupcakes! Lots of cupcakes! There are 48, to be exact. And although they're all chocolate, the really cool thing is that each one is different. Best of all, they're all mine. I don't have to share. And I don't intend to. (Sorry, kids.)

My sister made them for me. It started out as a joke. She had asked what type of cake I wanted for my birthday, and I told her "a cupcake." So she offered to make me cupcakes for each year (plus one to grow on, of course -- as if eating all those cupcakes wouldn't already make me grow...fatter). A friend laughingly told her that each cupcake should be different, and that's what she did. Chocolate based, because that's my favorite, but amazingly each mini cupcake has a different flavoring. There's chocolate coconut, and chocolate lemon, and Andes Mint chocolate, and even Strawberry Peanut M&M. The box of cupcakes came with a cheat sheet, which shows the exact flavor of each one. I can't wait to get started on munching out!

(I would have started on them last night, but my sister brought along a container of "Extras" to our Knit One Brew Two meeting so that I wouldn't have to share my box with the others -- she really is the best!)

Unfortunately, it's dinner time and I still haven't had even one of my cupcakes today. I woke up with a horrible cold or flu or something that's made me miserable. I tried going to work, but they sent me home. I've been sleeping most of the day.

I blame it on yesterday's bus ride. I wanted to go to K1B2, but my son needed to take our car to get to and from work. So thinking I was clever, I hopped a ride on the bus for a little extra knitting time.

Only the bus was freezing cold (apparently the air conditioning can only be ON or OFF, and the driver chose ON), and today I'm feeling miserable.

But hey, the socks are almost finished. And I'll have lots of cupcakes to eat as soon as I feel better.

No comments: