Wednesday, November 04, 2009

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read,

and all the friends I want to see. (John Burrough)

Not to mention all the things I queued to knit!

It's been a while since I updated you on my knitting projects, so bear with me. (Actually, for a while there the only time I posted was to talk about knitting. So I guess if you're still coming around, you must be okay with it.) I did finally finish the New York City shawl. Okay, I finished knitting it back in September. But I actually blocked it in October. It's the first time I blocked anything for real (because socks don't really count as blocking -- you just put them on your feet damp), and it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. The stole did block out bigger; it's just slightly smaller than my linen shawl, which is only slightly smaller than I would like. So I'm happy with it.

It's wonderfully soft. And the lace edging, which shows off my handspun yarn, is beautiful.


The ribbed tunic I was working on is waiting to be frogged. I don't like the way the ribs merge at the neckline. I can't decide if it's the pattern or the way I followed the pattern, but I don't like it. I tried setting it aside to see if it would grow on me, but it didn't. And there is no sense in knitting something I don't like. So the frog pond it is. I still love the yarn, so I just have to figure out what pattern I can use to make myself a sweater that only takes only four balls of Caron Spa.

In the meantime, I worked on baby gifts. A former co-worker's wife is pregnant, and since I had also served on a committee with his mother-in-law, I decided to knit them something. My apartment manager's sister is also expecting. But because I don't know either one that well I didn't want to make any big, so a sweater or blanket was out. Hats and booties are cute, but these are Florida babies and wouldn't get a lot of use out of them. So I decided on the Bib O'Love pattern from Mason Dixon Knitters.


I think they turned out pretty darn cute. Just for the record, though, it took me almost as long to hand sew the patches on as it did to knit the bib. Next time, I might just overstitch a cute border. Then again, the patches look really good. We'll see.

My latest project is a pair of Monkeys, that ever-so-popular pattern from Cookie A, using Koigu yarn. I started these on October 20th, and I can see why so many people are making them. The lace pattern is easy to memorize, yet challenging enough to be interesting. I find myself sneaking them out of my purse to knit secretly under my desk because I just have to do one more row! I'm actually further along than this picture shows; tonight I turned the heels and have finished the first gusset. For non-sockknitters, this means that they actually look like socks now. I figure that I'll have these finished in the next couple of days.

Which means I'll have to force myself to go into my yarn closet to find the next sock project to work on...

Yes, I have a yarn closet now. You know I have to brag a bit about it. Because it is, after all, way cool to have a yarn closet. With all of my stash organized by color into ziplock bags and stored on shelves by type (worsted, fingering, baby, fiber, acrylic).


I also have a dresser with WIPs to finish or frog, but we won't talk about those today. In fact, I'm just going to sneak off and Monkey a-round again.

See you tomorrow for Day 5 of NaBloPoMo!

No comments: