Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Try, try again


I don't have any finished objects to report, unfortunately. The baby sweater is still waiting to be seamed. But I did go ahead and start my Casey shawl, using a Louet pattern and Tahki cotton classic yarn. When we were up in Orlando a few trips ago, I had seen a sample of this shawl and fell in love with it. Since I don't have a rectangular shawl, obviously a grievous oversight in my wardrobe, I decided I needed to knit one for myself.

Now that I've started, it seems like it's going to be an easy knit. I had some trouble getting started, though. I cast on using size 6 needles, and after finishing a full pattern repeat (12+ rows) I decided that the shawl wasn't going to be wide enough. My gauge was off, and a thin rectangular shawl is just a scarf. So I knit a pattern repeat using size 8 needles. This helped widen the shawl, but not enough. Plus I didn't like the drape of the fabric with the bigger needles. I asked for advice from my knitting group, and we all agreed that the smaller needles looked better. So I frogged the work I had done, and cast on again. This time I added 24 stitches so that the smaller needles would still give me the width I wanted. I'm several pattern repeats in, and I love it!

* ~ * ~ *
Blanket Update:
29 squares in 150 days
Total number of squares completed: 670

No comments: