Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A fitness obsession

For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to come up with something active I could obsess over. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that I tend to go overboard when I take an interest in something. Just look at the number of posts I've written on cupcakes and cookies, or look at the amount of yarn and fiber I have stashed. (Better yet, don't look at my yarn stash - I live in fear that someone is going to call Hoarders and report me.)

I am totally convinced that if I could get interested in some type of physical activity, I would obsess my way into being healthy and skinny. The problem is coming up with an active that is both interesting and practical.

Kayaking almost fits the bill. I already know that it's a lot of fun, and it would get me out on the water more often. I really do like boating. I also like fishing, and you can fish from a kayak. I almost had myself convinced to take up the sport. Then I found two problems with the idea. First of all, have you ever priced a kayak? It's not horrible, but it isn't something I can run out and buy in the next week or so. It's going to take a bit of time to be able to afford one. (Oh, to be rich and reckless.) And sure, I could start exercising in preparation for when I can get a kayak, but what fun is that? My second hesitation is the idea that most of my trips would have to be alone. Is it safe to kayak by yourself? Actually, the question is would I be safe kayaking alone? So I've decided to think a little more before I can allow kayaking to be an obsession.

Luckily, I may have just found an alternative. Fitocracy is a online game that gives you points for exercising. Some workouts earn more points than others, which is how it should be. There are also special quests that give you bonus points. You can play against yourself, or join different teams if you want to compete with others.

I've never been much of a gamer, but I think that I could get into this. The idea of playing a fitness game online amuses me.


No comments: