Sunday, December 27, 2009

Way too much coffee. But if it weren't for the coffee, I'd have no identifiable personality whatsoever. (David Letterman)


Last weekend I found the neatest little restaurant. I had dropped off my daughter to work but didn't want to go too far, just in case she got out early. (As it turned out, I was right to be concerned about this. But that's an entirely different story.) So after dropping off Becka, I went in search of someplace with coffee.

On US 1 (Federal Highway) in Lake Park, there is a tiny Dunkin Donuts Restaurant. I've passed it before, and admired the giant coffee cup on the roof. This was the first time I've stopped in. You can get coffee and donuts, just like a regular Dunkin Donuts. Or you can be seated in the diner area and enjoy something off the menu. The menu is limited, but gave me happy memories of eating at the diners of my childhood. It even looked like the diners of my childhood, with old vinyl booths.

The coffee was wonderful. I'm normally a vanilla latte or a cappuccino girl, but even though it was just plain coffee it was delicious. I'm still trying to decide about the biscuits and gravy. The biscuits were fine, and the gravy was perfect (nice and peppery). But obviously the cook was not southern, despite the perfectly seasoned white gravy, because it was served over sausage patties instead of using bulk sausage in the sauce. I just pushed the patties to the side, and enjoyed the rest of it.

The service was nice. There were a lot of regulars when I was there, and the waitress laughed joked with everyone. Even the tourists (a real nice family visiting from England) were quickly labeled "family" and we all ended up talking across the aisle.

The Dunkin Donuts Restuarant has been in Lake Park since the early 1960's. It's a very cute little place, and is worth a stop for breakfast on your way to the beach.

No comments: