Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I'm telling you, things are getting out of hand. Or maybe I'm discovering that things were never in my hands. (Real Live Preacher)

I worked late today. Maybe a little too late, since the building was dark and deserted by the time I was ready to go home. And work isn't in the best place to be alone after dark, so I probably should have left about an hour (or two) earlier. But since my son had the car, I didn't have a choice anyway. I certainly wasn't going to walk the half mile to the bus stop that late.

So I was sitting in my office, engrossed in a report. I heard someone honk by the gate, but I ignored it. There isn't anyone that would need to be let in that time of night that wouldn't know the security code, so there was no need for me to go outside in the dark.

About five minutes later, there's knocking on my window. My office is on the front corner of the building. I have one high, narrow window with beveled privacy glass. It would have been the only window with a light shining out, but how could anyone have reached that high? My heart started pounding.

What do you do in a situation like that? I'm by myself, in a dark building. It's obvious that I'm by myself, because the building is totally dark except for the one light in my office. And someone is aware of that. They're knocking on my window. My high, very inconvenient to reach, window. Should I go out and see what they want? Do I try to lock the hallway up (as if that would make any difference given the flimsy door we have to the offices)?

With my cell phone in my hand, ready to call the police, I carefully peeked out into the reception area. There's a man plastered up against the glass door, laughing.

It took a few minutes for my brain to process that it was my son. It took quite a few minutes longer for my heart to start beating again.

I don't have anything for him to inherit, so why is he trying to kill me?

No comments: