Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. (Epictetus)

It's time for a Wednesday WIPs and FOs, and I'm happy to say that I was able to do quite a bit of knitting this week. Most of it was because I've been spending so much time providing rides for the kids. With both of them working, and only the one car for the three of us, I am doing an awful lot of sitting in parking lots while I wait for one or the other to get off work. But thanks to the knitting and my ipod (I'm caught up on all my podcast subscriptions), I haven't even been tempted to grump about it.

I finished my striped socks on Saturday, and I love the way they turned out. I actually got the stripes to match! I have enough of this yarn to knit up another pair, but I don't know who else might like this colorway. I thought about using the yarn up by knitting preemie hats for the Loops of Love charity. In fact, I was almost finished with the first hat when I realized that this yarn is a wool/nylon blend and the preemie hats have to be acrylic yarn because of possible allergies. (You don't want to risk stressing preemie babies any more than absolutely necessary.) So the yarn is back in my stash for now.

I didn't seam up the Riva sweater yet. But I did cast on another project, the Jamaica Pouch. I've had the yarn and pattern sitting in a project bag with my UFO (unfinished objects) for a couple of months. Jan (from my Boca knit group) had made a couple of the pouches and they were adorable. So of course I had gone out and bought the yarn to make one myself.

At the time, I loved the idea of a pastel pouch. Now, I'm not sure what I was thinking. It must have been intended as a gift for someone. I do like it because it's a very easy pattern to do as a take-along project, and it's knitting up quickly. Plus, I'm getting to use my new Harmony cables. Those needles are absolutely the nicest things to knit with. I love them!

I've also brought back out the Sampler Sock Blanket. This past week I added six blocks to it. I did some math, and figured out that if I knit an average of one block per day I will be able to finish the queen-sized blanket by the end of 2011. (Sigh)


I have one last project that I am pleased to pronounce as "finished." Tim was able to wear his hat home this week. Okay, he was actually trying to make a scarf. But even though he was very content (mostly content?) to go around and around on the loom, I had finally gotten bored with the project. So I helped him to cast off, then I sewed a hem into nice comfy brim on it and he proudly showed it off to everyone. He's had several requests for hats, but I'm not sure what our next project will be. (You know he's going to have to have some sort of knitting project going, just so that I have an excuse to knit at work.)

There has also been some spinning going on this week, but I don't have any pictures to share yet.

No comments: