Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. (Arthur C. Clarke)

(I just realized that I don't have a picture for today. I thought I did, but there's nothing new on my camera. I'll try to remember to take something to post for tomorrow.)

The Madness is still going strong, and I'm pleased to be able to rest until the next round (which should be some time next week). I did go ahead and cast on another pair of socks while I'm waiting, but let's not talk about that.

On a totally unrelated subject: I would dearly love to have a dash cam installed in my car. There are just too many odd-ball things that I see as I go through my day. A video to prove that I'm not making them up (as if even my imagination is that good!) would be nice.

A good example is the motorcyclist I passed the other day. Something made me take another look. His motorcycle was a small red model, probably a Yamaha. (I like Yamahas; they're cute bikes as opposed to "manly-biker-dude" bikes.) He was just an ordinary guy, young-probably in his twenties, wearing jeans and a white t-shirt. Then it dawned on me. His helmet was on backwards. You know how guys wear their baseball caps turned around, so that the brim is down covering the back of their necks? That's how this guy's helmet was. Baseball caps look cool when worn that way. You can't say the same for motorcycle helmets. So now I'm left wondering: did he wear it that way on purpose, or did he just not know how to put on a helmet?

Today would have been an even better day to have a dash cam. I was driving home from work in the early evening, just as it was starting to get dark, and I noticed up ahead there was a car pulled off on the side of the interstate. It was a small car that reminded me of my mom's 4-door Toyota (older model), and the trunk was open. The driver stood by the open front door of the car as three guys were running back along the road -- my guess was that they were trying to retrieve something that had fallen out of the open trunk. As I got closer, I watched the guys run up to one of the construction barrels, pick it up, and carry it back to their car. As I passed them, they were trying to close the trunk lid on the barrel as the driver urged them to hurry. (Yes, I probably should have been paying more attention to my driving, but this was more interesting!) I think I witnessed a theft. So now I'm left wondering: what are they planning to do with an orange-striped warning barrel? Will they put a glass top on it and make it into a diningroom table? (We had an electrical drum as a coffee table when I was growing up.) Will it go in their front yard, next to the car on cinder blocks? Or will they start to feel guilty and leave it by the side of the road somewhere (which will confuse drivers in the morning as they look for the new construction)?

No comments: