Monday, March 10, 2008

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties. (Doug Larson)

"Next!"

I was talking with my client's mother today, and she wanted to know how I manage to do all the things that I do (private clients, full time job, teenagers of my own, knitting, and sewing my scrubs). I told her that it was easier for me, since I'm not the mother of a handicapped child.

When my children were little, I was constantly having to do for them so I don't think I got to do as much. But now that they're teenagers and (fairly) independently, I have more time to spend doing the things that I want to do.

Besides, I don't really do that much. I have things that I have to do, so I get them done. And things that I want to do, so I try to get them done. I don't spend much time cleaning my house (that's what teenagers are for!). I don't spend a lot of time cooking (I plan ahead so that I don't have to, or I resort to take-out). I don't spend a lot of time hanging out in bars (although it might be nice for a change) or going to the movies, or socializing in public. (The hours that I have to socialize are usually late at night, so I tend to hang out online with people who have equally chaotic lives.)

Other people have different priorities and different needs. Our priorities and needs tend to be flexible, depending on where we are in our lives. I figure that it all evens out in the end.

No comments: