Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the write must develop an approach for the rest of the time... The wait is simply too long.

Leonard Bernstein
Millie
She's such a hussy for a belly rub!

The kids and I have been watching the lunar eclipse. We have a perfect view from our back porch, but I prefer to sit on my bed and watch it out the window.

It's the perfect night to see the eclipse. The sky is clear, and the stars are actually shining. (We usually have a lot of haze from clouds.) The moon itself is beautiful, even before the eclipse. I tried to take some photos, but my camera just isn't equipped to handle this. (Okay, with a better photographer the camera would probably work, but I can't get anything but bright fuzz.)

I was surprised that the moon is red for the eclipse. I guess I'm used to solar eclipses, when the sun is blocked black by the moon. But my son, who has been reading everything he can find online about the eclipse, explained even though the earth is blocking the path between the sun and the moon, light filtered by the earth's atmosphere still reaches the moon. And it's this indirect light that gives the moon it's red glow.

Even knowing how it's done, it's still pretty magical.

No comments: