Thursday, October 30, 2008

Where'd I put that list?

Mom and I leave for NYC at 6 am tomorrow morning. I can't wait! It's been so long since I've seen my daughter. There's a million and one things to talk with her about, and do, and see, and wow, it's going to be nice.

There's also a million and one things to do before I can leave. I've been making lists for the past two weeks, trying to get everything organized and ready. It's just a four day trip, including travel time. It's only a weekend. So how come the prep time is more than triple that? I've got to plan out my clothes, not just for the weekend but also for the couple of days before and after. Otherwise I won't have anything clean to wear, since our washer is horrible and doesn't always work. I've got to make sure that the children (the two I'm leaving behind, which all of a sudden sounds so bad) are taken care of, and that plans are in place to have them where they need to be. Arrangements also had to be made to take care of the dogs. (I forgot the birds and gerbil; hopefully the dog sitter won't mind feeding them.) Since there will be a dog sitter, the house has to be cleaned up and "company ready." And I don't even want to think about what's involved with clearing my desk at work enough to be gone two days. (Or what I'll face when I get back after two days away.)

Notice that I'm not mentioning the agony I've put myself through, trying to decide which of my knitting projects to bring with me. I have to have something to knit; there's the airport, the plane ride, and the subways - all prime knitting time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to bring just a Plain Jane sock to do. But that's still up for debate and probably won't be settled until we get into the car at 4 am tomorrow to leave for the airport.

But then, all of this planning and anxiety will be over and I'll be on my way. I probably won't be posting online again until Tuesday. I've decided to leave my laptop at home. (I know, four days without Daisy. I'm not sure if it's possible.) But I know that I'll be too busy visiting my darling girl to sit at the computer. I am going to try to journal during the trip,though, and then transfer that to this blog next week. NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) starts Saturday, and journaling/transfer is my compromise so that I don't lose before I even get started.

For right now, though, what's next on my To Do list?

No comments: