Saturday, October 25, 2008

"When are you going to grow up?" "Never. I've seen what it's done to you."


I have a soft spot for old movies. I totally adore them. They're usually very wholesome and sugary sweet, and even a little on the cheesy side. Their plots are predictable, and the good guy always wins. (And you know who's the good guy by the white hat.)

This week I rented Papa's Delicate Condition. It was wonderful! Jackie Gleason starred as the heavy drinking father who none-the-less loved his family. The long-suffering mother was played by Glynis Johns, who was also the mom in Mary Poppins. (Remember her wonderful song about Suffragettes?)

I don't want to give away the plot, but let's just say that the movie managed to include politicians, the circus, a most wonderful monkey who sucked up to the boss, the railroad, employee rights, and how to tell true love. I admit that I cried at the ending. (I almost always cry when watching the old movies.)

By the way, if you don't already have a Netflix account, think about signing up. We love it!

No comments: