Wednesday, October 22, 2008

There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted. (James Branch Cabell)

It's WIP Wednesday, and I don't have a lot to show even though I've been doing a lot of knitting. Mostly I've been working on the Mystery Stole. Since the stole is knit with two sides that are sewn (kitchnered) together, I'm trying to get the second side caught up. This is a difficult knit for me. Not the knitting itself, but trying to find time to work on it. I have to sit at the table with my charts and markers all spread out. This is truly dedicated knitting, as opposed to the spur-of-the-moment projects that I can carry around with me.

I've also been working on my Lady Sweater. I'm a little worried, because I've been reading online that Malabrigo stetches quite a bit when you block it. So I'm having trouble deciding how long to make the body. I think I'm going to go to my waist, so that if it stretches it'll be the length I actually want and if it doesn't, I can still wear the sweater. That meansI've probably got two or three more repeats of the lace pattern, then 1 1/2" garter stitch in order to finish the body of the sweater. Then the arms, and I'm done. I was at Knit or Knot on Saturday, and I found the perfect buttons to use on this project. I hope I can get it finished in time to take to New York with me.

I did get a little more of the Special Olympics scarf done. It's hard, going from Malabrigo (which is so wonderfully soft and cuddly) to Red Heart (which squeaks as you knit it). I've only got three more stripes, and then it's finished. Which sounds so nice. Much better than I'm only halfway done.

I did get a baby hat finished. This is the Greenleaf pattern, and I think it's one of the cutest hats I've made. It's also a very quick knit. I will definitely do this pattern again. Which is good, because I keep finding baby yarn on sale.

Not that I need any more yarn. I decided to try and get the stash under control. Hah! All I succeeded in doing is to prove that I have a problem. This is as far as I've gotten so far:

The top tub is my sock yarns. You don't want to know how much I have. Just trust me; if you want a pair of handknit socks, email me. The bottom right is the baby yarn. Can you imagine what grandchildren will inspire me to do? My son has forbidden me from getting an early start on the grandbaby knitting (but it was a really cute baby sweater pattern...). He claims that it would be far too weird to introduce a future girlfriend to me with "This is my mom. Just ignore her, she's knitting for the children we might have someday, provided that doesn't scare you from having a second date." The bottom left tub is my roving for spinning. That's really what made me realize that my fiber addiction is out of control. I have over a dozen rovings.

And yes, I'm still spinning. Now that I've calmed down a bit. Millie (remember that horrible creature?) managed to sneak into my room and decided that she needed to save the household from the PJ batt that I had been working on.


The PJ batt had come in four 1-oz batts. I spun the first two, and then went ahead and plyed them. I wish I hadn't. Because that skein is long single stripes of maroon, mixed, then blue. Naturally I had planned to spin the second two batts the same way, which would have given me a pair of socks with maroon feet, mixed heels, and blue legs. But now, I'm not sure how the second skein will turn out, other than not matching. I have no idea what to make with it now. If I hadn't already plyed the first skein, I could have made two variated skeins. I've decided to set it aside for now (until I can get some advice), and start on one of the other rovings. Hopefully I'll have something pretty to show you next week.

No comments: