Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Whatja doin?





It's been a week since I've talked about the knitting projects, and yet I'm still working on the same things. My Lady Sweater and the Mystery Stole are each about a dozen rounds larger, but neither is done yet. I did manage to finish two baby hats this week. Since I'm going away this weekend, I thought I'd get Friday's hat out of the way early.

The first hat is ever-so-soft. It's out of Bernat Softee Baby yarn, in the Rock-a-Bye Baby colorway. The varigated colors pooled in an interesting pattern, and because of that the pink is more predominant that I had wanted. But the soft, cuddliness makes up for the weird color.

The second hat was a spur of the moment yarn purchase (but then, aren't they all?). I was in Michael's, and the colors just jumped into my hands. I totally love the purple and yellow together. If I could have started knitting them together in the store, I probably would have. (Unfortunately, retailers prefer that you pay for yarn before you use it.)

I'm not the only person who feels that way about this yarn. I was knitting in public (yeah, so what else is new), and the most adorable 2-year old twins came up to me. The first little girl tried to get me to play with her. She'd say "boo!" and then giggle hysterically when I acted scared. Since I could play and knit, I did. Her sister kept edging closer, obviously wanting to play along, but too shy to jump in. My yarn tangled, so I had to pull the purple skein out of the bag for a moment. That's when cutie#2 got excited. "Ooooh, pretty!" she hollared, and grabbed at the yarn. I let her hold it, since I really didn't have a choice, and she cuddled it close. "Baby. Mine," she kept saying. I didn't think I was going to get the yarn back. If ever there was a future fiber addict, it's that little girl.


* * * * * *

Only two more days before I leave for New York. "Excited" doesn't even begin to describe it.

No comments: