Monday, October 27, 2008

There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open. (Jawaharlal Nehru)

Four more days, and then I'll be in NYC!

A few months ago, I heard about Letterboxing. Actually, I had come across it a couple of years ago when I was so active in the rubber stamping world, but since there wasn't anything in my area yet, I ignored the subject. There still wasn't much in my area earlier this year. Suddenly, though, Letterboxing has grown and my area has several quests listed. I'm really excited, because it sounds like such a fun thing to do.

Basically, Letterboxing is a treasure hunt. Someone will hide a box with a logbook and a rubber stamp. Then clues are posted on one of the Letterboxing sites online. You follow the clues to find the box. When you find the box you're expected to put an entry, using your signature stamp, into the logbook and record your find using the box's stamp in your journal.

The boxes are hidden in a variety of locations. A hunt might take you on a hike through a park, into a bookstore, for a visit to the zoo, or a thousand other places limited only by the hider's imagination. To me, Letterboxing sounds like a great excuse to explore someplace new.

Just for the heck of it, I checked for Letterboxes in the New York City area, and came up with quite a few near my daughter. I've printed out the clues, and I'm hoping to make my first discovery this weekend. I've even put together a Letterboxing kit for each of us (mom, my daughter, and myself) so that we're prepared.

2 comments:

Cari said...

I know exactly where it is! Clues are easy when you work in one of the places mentioned.

Do you want me to tell you or do you want to figure it out yourself? We can wander the area pretty easily if you want to do it that way...

Sandi said...

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I will say that I thought that one of the places was your work, but told myself that I was being silly. After all, how many bookstores are there in NYC?

I'm bringing a stamp for you. Did you have a preference, because it doesn't have to be one of the ones in the picture...