Thursday, October 30, 2008

This is why I love what I do.

I was working on a craft project with a client today. (My client is a young gentleman in his 20's, with a dual diagnosis of autism and MR.) For our project we had cut out ghosts, and we were looking through magazines for eyes to add to them.

For the first one, I gave lots of prompts. I helped him turn the pages of the magazine, and pointed out pictures of faces. For each I would prompt: "Where are the eyes? Show me the eyes. Let's cut out the eyes." He did a great job.

For the second ghost, I tried using fewer prompts. This time around it was: "Can you find a picture of eyes? Go ahead and cut out the eyes." Again, he did a great job.

For the third ghost, I got overconfident. I went with a minimal prompt: "Look through the magazine and cut out what you like."

I think I should have phrased that last prompt a little better.

No comments: