Friday, June 27, 2008

A pleasure is not full grown until it is remembered. (C.S. Lewis)

I'm trying to find a pattern for my blogging, in an effort to make it a bit more consistent, interesting, and maybe even a little fun and informative. But mostly to make it more consistent. If I know that on Sundays I blog about Family Fun and Wednesdays is for WIPs, then it's easier for me to write something on those days because the topic is already there. At least, that's my current theory.

I've been trying to come up with themes for the other days, and for a while I was leaning toward "Five on Fridays," a revival of the lists I used to do. But I've recently started to listen to a new podcast, StitchIt!, and I really like one of the features that Meghan includes in each of her episodes.

Each week Meghan talks about one of her favorite things; what it is and why it's her favorite thing. I like that. Some of her episodes have taught me about something I wouldn't have known or thought about otherwise (like using vinegar to clean the house -- when I was younger I used to use "natural" cleansers, but I fell out of the green habit in recent years). Or her favorite thing has brought back memories of my own childhood (I loved the grilled cheese and tomato soup!).

So, for a while anyway, I'm going to borrow Meghan's idea and have a "Friday Favorites" feature of my own.

This week, my Favorite Thing would have to be my ipod. For a long time, I thought that ipods were just a fad and that there really wasn't enough of a difference between the ipod and an MP3 player to justify the cost. Now I just wonder how I could have existed so long without my ipod.

And I don't even have many songs loaded into it. (Just two, actually, and both for the memories rather than the music.) What I enjoy is podcasts and audio books. I love the ability to hear someone blog out loud to me, as I drive or knit or clean the house. I always start with the earliest episode I can find from each podcast, and I listen to every show until I catch up. Then I start a new series.

There's been a couple of podcasts that I've tried that I haven't liked for various reasons. But luckily there are plenty of podcasts that I think are very good. And the free books are wonderful. My current favorite is the Heaven series.

I think I have 5.3 days worth of programs loaded in my ipod right now. So if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go listen to a podcast.

2 comments:

meghan said...

yeah! :) i love hearing about other people's favorite things! and an ipod is definitely one of mine too!!!

Sandi said...

I feel like I've just had a star sighting (something we look for here in the vacation home of the rich & famous). Thank you for the comment. And I hope you didn't mind my borrowing your idea. I really love your podcast!