Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Art washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday living. (Pablo Picasso)

I haven't gotten very much accomplished with my knitting this week. (For some reason, that sounds awfully familiar...) It's pretty much the same problem; too many projects and not enough dedication to any one item.

Actually, I have become very obsessed with the spinning. I managed to spin enough to 2-ply about 70 yards of the "practice fiber" I had gotten with my first spindle. Naturally, I think it is absolute gorgeous, and I've been carrying it around with me. Let me tell you, it's difficult to work "hey, look at my beautiful yarn that I spun myself" into casual conversations -- but I've managed to do it with several people, including a slightly bewildered postal worker ("does that mean you want some stamps or no?")

This weekend is Convergence over in Tampa. For non-fiber folk (yeah, I was one only a few weeks ago), that's the big biennial conference for the Handweavers Guild of America. I'm trying to decide whether or not to go. I tried to justify it as a mini-vacation for the family, but the kids are on to me. ("you must want some yarn somewhere...")

For the rest of my knitting projects, I've got to get with it and finish something. I'm thinking of frogging Becci's bag, and starting over with two strands. I've gotten to the handles, so that's a lot of frogging. But I just don't like the looseness of the fabric. I've been telling myself that it's just going to be felted anyway, but I think that it will be a flimsy felt if I don't change it. It's an awful lot of work to just rip out, though, so I don't know.

My socks are coming along great. I'm almost finished. At least, I think I'm almost finished. But some little imp must keep frogging it for me -- every time I pull them out of my bag, they're not nearly as far along as I remember.

At least I knit because I enjoy the process of knitting.

No comments: