Monday, June 16, 2008

Hobby, obsession...aren't they really just the same thing?

For the past few days, I've really become obsessed with spinning. I think it's because it's finally clicked for me.

So far I've done three tiny mini-skeins, even managing to ply them, and the yarn is actually starting to look like yarn. The white yarn pictured is my first "real" skein -- my third actual attempt. I was aiming for fingering weight, but this is more of a sport weight yarn. I think I'm going to dye this skein, and use it in my sampler sock blanket. I don't think the little added sizing will make that big of a difference to the blanket. And this will mean that I'm actually using my yarn, instead of hiding or hoarding it away.


One of the things that's made a difference for me is that I now have a Rakestraw spindle. The drop spindle was nice, but this is much nicer for me. (It's also much slower, but I'll use that fact as a reason later on to justify getting the spinning wheel I want.)

While you're admiring the Rakestraw spindle and my newest yarn, check out my wrist distaff. I came across a post explaining what a wrist distaff is and how to make one -- naturally I can't find the post right now to link to it. (I'll look later on and edit this so that credit will go out to the wonderful person who took the time to write out the directions.) But as soon as I read the post, I had to stop and make myself one. Let me tell you, the wrist distaff is so much easier and convenient than wrapping the sliver of fiber around your wrist. Not only is it easier to put the spinning down (at least in theory -- this assumes that you actually want to put the spinning down for whatever reason), but I think it also lets the fiber draft smoother.

I'm working on a pre-dyed roving now, and I'm hoping to coax this into being a 2-ply fingering weight. I thought I was doing really well with it, but when I check it against my first yarn it looks like it will be pretty close to the same sport weight. But the colors are going to be so pretty!

It's a shame that I have to work for living! I'd much rather stay up all night and spin. (Again.)

No comments: