Monday, August 08, 2011

If your heart is warm with happiness, you'll need a glass - if sorrow chills your heart, have two! (Hannu Lehmusvuori)


This weekend's wine was a recommendation from my daughter. It's one of her "go-to" wines that she described as being worth twice the price. And she was right. It was great.

I'm talking about Red Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon. I bought a bottle of 2008 at my local Publix store for just under $10. Red Diamond is a Washington cabernet sauvignon, blended with a light touch of syrah and merlot. It's a nice, dark ruby color, with a spicy aroma. In some of the reviews I read, the aroma was described as leather, heavy cherry, and even chocolate. I didn't pick any of that up, but I've had blocked sinuses all week so you can't really trust me.

You can trust me that it tasted yummy. It was smooth (the reviews called it velvet) with a heavy berry taste and a lingering spicy finish. Some of the reviews described a dark chocolate taste, which I didn't catch but may have been why I liked it so much. It was terrific with the cheese pizza, but I think it would also be a nice sipping wine for an evening of knitting or socializing.

This is going on my list of wines to buy again.

No comments: