Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Humor is by far the most significant activity of the human brain. (Edward De Bono)

Because of his autism, TS is very limited in his expressive language. I spend a great part of our time together prompting him and giving him communication cues in order to elicit speech. I consider it a very good day if I get a complete three-word sentence sometime during our session.

Because he doesn't talk, it's easy to forget that TS has a very active mind. And a decidedly wicked sense of humor.

Today, TS was in a mischievous mood. We had gone down the hall on an errand, and I stopped to talk with someone. Hoping to prevent TS from running off (and I mean that literally, by the way), I asked him to take a seat. He looked at me, grinned, then picked up the chair and walked off. Naturally I shouted. "Timothy! What do you think you're doing?" With that he turned back to me and started laughing. It was obviously a wonderful joke, and he had pulled it off successfully.

Timothy got me again later on. I was annoyed at being interrupted for the nth time by the same staff member, and I was mumbling. Without really thinking about it, I asked TS "Do you believe her?" He very gravely looked up at me and clearly said, "Crazy." When I asked him if he was referring to the staff or myself, he would just say "Yes."

No comments: