Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The first thing is to love your sport. Never do it to please someone else. It has to be yours. (Peggy Fleming)


The only knitting that I've been doing this past week is for the Ravelympics. I've managed to finish 28 squares on my OMG-What-Was-I-Thinking-Sock-Blanket. Which I thought was pretty darn good, until I heard that some of the other competitors were up to 72 and 84 squares finished. There's still five days left, but somehow I doubt that I will be able to catch up.

I did have a very scary thought. And I blame it on my inner-engineer. (Everyone knows that those darn engineer types are just plain weird and quite a bit scarey). Each square takes me approximately 20 minutes to knit. Since I have finished a grand total of 238 squares to date on the blanket, that means I've wasted invested 79 1/2 hours knitting on it.

I figure the final blanket will need to have 956 squares, so there is still 718 to knit. That's another 239 1/2 hours of work on the needles. (Hence the name change from "Sampler Sock Blanket" to "OMG-What-Was-I-Thinking.")

It's kind of cool, though, to think that at $7 an hour (approximately minimum wage - just to keep it easy to figure out), my blanket will be worth $2,240. And that's not including material, just labor.

Of course, someday when I'm old or dead my children will sell off all my stuff in a yard sale (because that's what my family does). At which time they'll probably just get $5 for the blanket...

No comments: