Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Wednesday's WIPs and FOs

It's been a couple of weeks since I posted my knitting progress. I haven't gotten a lot done. At least, I hadn't thought I've been doing that much. I did do a few baby hats. I'm still trying to get one hat knit a week for the Loops of Love group. I got behind, but as of today I'm caught back up. Of course, I cheated by doing a couple of easy "plain vanilla" hats using self-striping yarn. These look really nice, but knit up very quickly. I cast on one this morning at the FLAC meeting, and had it done by the time PJ was out of class today. I think I spent a little less than 1 1/2 hours actually working on it.






I haven't managed to catch up on the washcloths yet. I have a goal of one a week for those, as well. I'm not sure why, other than they're quick and easy and they make me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something. Since I'm not actually accomplishing this goal, the purpose is defeated. On the other hand, I really like the washcloths, and they're easy to knit on the bus. Plus I've even sold one at the Farmer's Market.







(I made a mistake with this one. Okay, I made several mistakes with this one, and ended up frogging it twice. And there is still a mistake in it. But I like the pattern, so I'll keep this one for me to use and I'll try the pattern again.)

Cari's cashmere gloves are finally finished. The fingers were a pain in the butt, although they did knit up fast. I haven't gotten them mailed off to her yet, unfortunately. She could have used them this week with all the snow in New York.


I also finished the chemo cap for one of our former students. This is the Shedir pattern from Knitty.com. I really had a lot of fun knitting this, although it's a good thing that I can cable without a cable needle. I'm not that happy with the yarn I used. It's got a great stitch definition; the cables really pop. And it is wonderfully soft and stretchy. But I'm not sure it was worth the cost. I spent 7.99 a skein, and ended up using three skeins since they're really small skeins. On top of that, each of the skeins had a hidden knot. I think that if I had waited to buy the yarn somewhere else, I could have found something just as nice (and maybe even without the knots) for less money. But Cindy is going to love her hat, and that's all that really matters.

After I finished the chemo cap, I decided to try a little knitting monogamy. Is it really monogamy if you have mini-projects on the side? Okay, I'm focusing on knitting my Lemonade Stole. (This used to be called my Ply By Night Stole, but someone in the group mentioned making lemonade from lemons, in reference to making the best of it even if you didn't really like the color or project, and I renamed my project.) I've still got baby hats, washcloths, and the Sampler Sock Blanket going, but my real attention is on the stole. I finished plying the rest of the roving, just in time since I've knit up almost the first 4 ounces. The stole blocks out to 20" so far. I'm starting to get worried that I won't have enough yarn to make it long enough. Although I guess I can always order more roving from Crown Mountain and make more yarn.



The Ply by Night group has already gone on to the next project. I love the roving that they've picked out (although I really can't afford it). I'm not crazy about the pattern that's been chosen, but since I didn't like the stole pattern and it's turning out so nicely, I'll probably give the new pattern a chance.

I still have a backlog of projects already on the needles. And a bunch that are calling to me to be started... I really, really, really want to start the baby sweater soon. So we'll see how long the pseudo-monogramy lasts. Right now, I'm off to do a few more rows of Lemonade.

No comments: