Wednesday, March 11, 2009

As the knitting needles purls...

I cannot believe that there can be so much drama associated with knitting. Knitting is supposed to be relaxing. It's what I do to prevent stress from totally ruling my life. It should not leave me unable to sleep.

Okay, I admit to losing sleep at night when I've been too engrossed in finishing "just one more row" of a project I was trying to finish. That's different. That was being productive, and I enjoyed myself (even if I didn't enjoy the next day at work). But losing sleep because I don't know whether or not to confront someone over a situation is different. I'm thinking I may just give up the group, which I hate to do because I love socializing with everyone. It's a great group.

But I feel very strongly that we knit because we enjoy the process. (Or we crochet. Or loom. Or weave. Or spin. Or even just cuddle the yarn. Whatever; it's the love of fiber that ties us together.) I'm starting to resent that some people apparently feel that the group is just for knitters who knit a certain way, or for people who knit certain items. And I may be wrong in that. I'm trying to think that maybe it's just a strong enthusiasm for their pet projects, or their new skill, that drives them to dictate the "right" way to do things. I think I'm also secretly afraid that I might come across in a similar way. But I try really hard to let people enjoy the process in their own way, and to only offer help when asked. (The inner teacher in me is constantly jumping up to offer long-winded lectures, but I usually manage to suppress the urge.)

To add to the conflict, I personally would really like to see our group grow toward becoming a real Guild, with an emphasis on education and sharing of the fiber-arts. I think we have some really talented people (including the knitting police) who would have a lot to share in a Guild. I don't want to walk away from this idea, or from the group. But I also don't want to come home from my night out more tense than when I started. I guess I just need to take a deep breath, pick up my knitting needles, and remember that knitting is fun.

On a more positive note, look at the pretty yarn I've been working on. This is a BLF/silk blend that I got from Old Maiden Aunt in Scotland. It's even prettier in person!

I'm having a little bit of difficulty controlling the thickness, which I think is because of the silk. It wants to feed more than I want to go in, so the WPI ranges from 18/20 (which is what I'm trying for) to about 16. My goal is to get a 2-ply worsted weight, but it might end up a little bulkier.

On the knitting side, I haven't gotten very far. I'm trying to catch up on my goal of one washcloth and one baby hat per week, and one block on my blanket each day. I'm actually almost caught up, mainly because I'm getting tired of working on the Lemonade Stole. The stole is about 3/4 finished. Or rather, I'm about 3/4 the way through the yarn I spun for it. I think I'll need to get more roving and make some more because I don't think the stole is going to be as long as I want it, even after it's blocked. I really just want to get it finished so that I can start something else on the list.



And don't worry. I think I'll probably feel better about everything after a good night's sleep.

No comments: