Sunday, March 22, 2009

I have lost friends, some by death...other through sheer inability to cross the street. (Virginia Woolf)

It was a call from out the blue. Amazingly, in a recent conversation I had talked about losing touch through the years with even your best friends, and how much I regretted not making more of an effort to renew the lost friendships. As I was driving to mom's this afternoon, my best friend from college called.

We met freshman year, and immediately recognized each other as BFF. (Okay, we didn't call it that way back then, but we would have.) We used to take turns spending the weekends at each other's homes, and "shopping" from our moms' cupboards. I helped "dispose" of the illegal alcohol from her dorm room at the end of the semester. (But I had nothing to do with pulling the alarm.) We share memories of the Pacer, the diner, Deptford Mall, Aunt Ginny, and so much more. This is the friend who introduced me to my (ex)husband, and stood as my maid of honor at the wedding. I never imagined that there would be a part of my life she wasn't involved in, even if it was a long-distance part.

Somehow, though, we lost track. I got to visit her after the birth of her son, and that's the last time I saw her. (He's 12, now.) I'm not sure why we let so much time go by. Life, I guess. Or at least, we used life as an excuse.

We have a lot to catch up on. But that's the nice thing about true friendship. You can still be friends, even after all this time.

So now the question is: Where do I find Ronnie and Kathy?



2 comments:

Old friend said...

Looking for Ronnie P?
I, unfortunelty was with Ronnie's father last week at my Dad's funeral. Mr. P mentioned you and I told him you had a blog and that I would forward him your URL so he could pass it on to Ronnie. Before I did that I wanted to check with you.

Is that the Ronnie that you mean?

Sandi said...

Hi Old Friend,

I am so sorry to learn of your father's passing. I had no idea. Please accept my sympathy and love to all your family.

Your dad was a huge influence in my political leanings. I remember going out with bumper stickers and pamphlets when he was running for State Assemblyman.

I also remember him as being one of the few adults in my life at the time who thought it was a good idea to go into education as a career. (Most of my family was struggling to figure out why I even wanted to go to college.) And I owe him a debt of gratitude for helping me out.

He was definitely one of the good guys. And he's going to be missed by a lot of people.