Monday, March 16, 2009

It just happens that I have a project (or two) with me...

I know that my family expects me to do odd things. Odd, of course, is defined as anything that would make them have to pretend they don't know me, but that they can enjoy laughing about if it happens when they're not around. Tonight, my kids are laughing.

It started out innocently enough. I ran into Joanna's to get size 6 dpns and some buttons. I swear, that's all I wanted. I had no intention of buying more yarn, and I even managed to put down the two colorways of Berroco Sox that I fell in love with AND the two skeins of white Heart and Sole that would make really nice school socks for my youngest. It wasn't easy to put the yarn down, by the way. I didn't know Joanna's had started carrying the Berroco and it's really pretty. But all I wanted was the dpns and buttons for the baby sweater.

Yes, I did start a baby sweater this weekend. I know that I said that I wasn't going to start any new projects until I finished the ones I already have on the needles. But it isn't like I made any promises. Okay, maybe I did. But I really, really wanted to start something new and the baby sweater is just a little project and the pattern was so cute. I have no idea, by the way who the sweater is for, so if anyone is expecting a baby and would like to make me a godmother or even just an honorary auntie I can offer this sweater as the first of many adorable handknit gifts.

So anyway, I was at Joanna's -- no, I did not buy any yarn, not even that really cute Cupcake baby yarn that I like that would go with the other baby sweater I considered making but didn't have the right yarn for -- and a woman walked up to me and asked if I knew how to knit. I was very good and did not laugh, which was my first response. Instead, I quietly answered, "Why, yes. I do knit." It turns out that while she has been crocheting for years, she is new to knitting and didn't know where to go for help. The pattern she wanted to make said to cast onto double pointed needles and join, then knit in the round. This had totally thrown her for a loop. So I took the preemie hat I was working on out of my pocketbook (which threw the woman for an even bigger loop -- imagine, carrying around knitting!), and proceeded to show her how to knit in the round. I even let her try it. (By the way, her young son was with her and as his mother and I stood in the aisle and knit, his eyes glazed over and he quietly moved away from us. He wasn't as good at escaping as my son, but then he is still young and his mother is still new to knitting.) Once she mastered the dpns, we went on to picking up stitches. She's planning on coming out to our Wednesday knitting group.

So that is how I resisted temptation, sparked a new addiction, and taught a class in the aisles of my local fabric store. And I even came home with the buttons.

No comments: