Sunday, March 15, 2009

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't. (Douglas Adams)

My son made us run outside this evening to watch the space shuttle take off. I went, not expecting to really see much. But it was perfect viewing conditions, or something, because we saw it clearly. It was amazing.

There we were standing in the middle of the road in front of our townhouse, looking north over the other buildings in our development. My son spotted the shuttle first. It rose over the top of one of the houses, just a bright silver dot with a thick white cloud trailing the path. We watched as it rose, then appeared to level off. (Once it reaches a certain height, the distance makes it look horizontal rather than vertical.) The bright dot actually grew even brighter, then faded, as the last of the booster rockets flared. Then we could see only a faint trail as it continued on.

I can't believe that I left my camera inside, with such a clear perfect picture opportunity right in front of us. We tried to get it on the camera phone, but then realized we don't know how to move it from the camera to the computer. (With the kids' phones, I haven't really wanted to encourage that.) But trust me, it was really incredible to watch.

No comments: