Friday, March 06, 2009

Thankfully, beauty is easier to remove than apply, and a swipe of demaquillage in the right direction and you are you once again.(Margaret Cho)

Lately I've become very conscious of the way I look. I'm almost vain. Not quite, because I'm not really happy with the way I look yet, but I'm certainly getting there. I find myself glancing into mirrors throughout the day and pulling in my stomach, which is something I haven't done since before my youngest was born. I'm noticing outfits and wondering how they would look on me. But the biggest change has been that I'm not only putting on make-up every morning, I'm also remembering to reapply the lipstick throughout the day. Lipstick! Okay, it's pale blush instead of red and it is so pale that it might as well be chapstick, but still.

I wouldn't mention any of this except that today is supposed to be a "Friday Favorite." And my favorite thing right now is the make-up remover that I found recently. I treated myself to a fairly inexpensive container of oil-free pads to remove eye makeup. That's always been my biggest hang-up with makeup. I don't mind foundation and blush. In fact, I freely admit that I need a good foundation. But whenever I try to wear mascara or anything else around my eyes, horrible things happen. My eyelids swell up after a few days, and all my eyelashes start to fall out. I could say how unattractive that leaves me, with bushy brows and lashless lids, but I don't want anyone (i.e. me) having nightmares. But I decided on a whim to try this particular brand of cleanser (despite all the money I've wasted over the years on the fancy, expensive brands), and it has been absolutely wonderful. I've been getting lots of head-swelling compliments, but my eyes have remained healthy.

Of course, as usual I've allowed myself to get carried away with it all. Tonight I crossed the line and actually put nail polish on my toenails. What's next? High heels and sparkly tops?

No comments: