Saturday, July 01, 2006

We try to grab pieces of our lives as they speed past us. Photographs freeze those pieces and help us remember how we were. (Gene McSweeney)


Mom brought me down more photos, and we spent a couple of hours this afternoon going through them and scanning the ones we wanted for the reunion album. It's amazing how many photos my family has taken over the years! I think we went through six big albums/boxes today. The hardest part was to just select the pictures we wanted for the project, without stopping to talk about the memories behind each photo.

This was one of the pictures we found, and although it probably won't make it into the reunion album, I couldn't resist scanning a copy. I remember having the picture was taken, even though it was in the fall of 1970 and I was only 7 years old. We had gone to Pennsylvania to one of the civil war parks with my Gramma and her father (Great-Grampa Williams). The other girls on the outing were my sister Cathy; her best friend and our next-door neighbor Lisa; and my cousins Renee and Rhonda. Gramma lined us up on the wall by the tower. Even back then I was afraid of heights, so I wasn't too thrilled with the idea. I would have preferred to sit next to Grampa Williams, and I think he would have preferred to have been standing on the wall. (He always did try to get into trouble.) Before the picture was taken, we had been running around the tower and teasing Grampa Williams that he couldn't catch us.

This picture, by the way, is typical of the pictures taken at that time. Apparently the family photographers back then (and it wasn't just Gramma) had difficulty centering the viewfinder. Almost all of the pictures have the people either off to the side, or show just decapitated heads down at the very bottom of the photo. I'm grateful for my digital camera, which allows me to keep trying until I get it right!

No comments: