Monday, February 28, 2011

February Book List

I read 14 books in January. Looking over the list several of them were "junk romances," something I enjoy for the pure fun and escape aspect. There were two books that were especially noteworthy, however.

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, David Sedaris was a deceptively easy read. At first glance the book seems like a simple children's storybook. But the insight to human behavior can't help but slap you in the face. I read several of the short tales out loud to my student, and then we discussed each one. (Okay, I discussed, he listened - but the fact that he listened was a huge thing) . This is a book that I think warrants more than one reading.

The other book that I was really struck by was another surprise. I bought it off the "last chance" sale rack for just a couple of dollars at Barnes & Noble, just on an impulse. I wasn't expecting much more than a junk romance. But The Sugar Queen, by Sarah Addison Allen, captured my imagination. I love the idea that a person could redeem themselves by living in a closet, doling out advice. (There's more to that, but I don't want to give away the ending of the story.) I also dream of living in a world where books just appear when you need them, and even follow you around until you notice them.

Books Read in February

15 - 01 Back to theBedroom, by Janet Evanovich (2/2)
16 - 02 Home is Where the Bark Is, by Kandy Shepherd (2/3)
17 - 03 Spackeled and Spooked, by Jennie Bentley (2/5)
18 - 04 Blind-Date Bride, by Jillian Hart (2/5)
19 - 05 House Rules, by Jodi Picoult (2/6)
20 - 06 Vanish, by Tess Gerritsen (2/8)
21 - 07 Fragile Things, by Neil Gaiman (2/11)
22 - 08 The Apprentice, by Tess Gerritsen (2/12)
23 - 09 Phoenix and Ashes, by Mercedes Lackey (2/13)
24 - 10 My Lady Midnight, by Laurie Grant (2/17)
25 - 11 Knock Me For A Loop, by Heidi Betts (2/18)
26 - 12 Shameless, by Karen Robards (2/19)
27 - 13 Rogue In My Arms, by Celeste Bradley (2/20)
28 - 14 The Wizard of London, by Mercedes Lackey (2/22)
29 - 15 The Gates of Sleep, by Mercedes Lackey (2/24)
30 - 16 Reserved for the Cat, by Mercedes Lackey (2/26)

No comments: