Friday, February 25, 2011

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. (Mae West)

Tomorrow is Knit in the Park, which is a perfect opportunity to make cupcakes. After a lot of debating back and forth between chocolate cupcakes and margarita cupcakes, including a online vote in the knitting group's forum, I finally decided on making the margarita ones. I think I made a good decision.

I ended up combining two recipes. The cupcakes were made using the recipe on Annie's Eats. This was the first time I've ever actually zested anything. It's a lot of fun. I might have gotten a little carried away, but I think the result is yummy.

After the cupcakes were baked and cooled, I dipped the tops in tequila. This was a suggestion in the comments on Annie's Eats, and it made sense to me.

I tried the frosting recipe on Annie's Eats but trust us when she says that you need a stand mixer, you really do need a stand mixer. After I worked on the frosting for almost two hours of using the hand mixer, my son took it out of my hands and said, "enough." After crying (I was very tired and frustrated at that point) and whining for a little while, I went back online and found a tequila buttercream recipe on Love Big, Bake Often. I honestly think that the buttercream was a much better choice, with or without a stand mixer.

The complete recipe I used can be found on my Family Cooking blog (www.neucooks.blogspot.com) if you would like to try making these yourself. I have a feeling that I will be making them again!


No comments: