Monday, June 03, 2013

Yum! Curry!

Red Tofu-Veggie Curry


Since April 1st, I've been on a gluten-free/casein-free and meat-free diet in an effort to get a little bit of control over the fibromyalgia. It's difficult to know what 'research' to believe in. Some studies show that the gluten and/or dairy are causing the inflammation and pain associated with auto-immune disorders such as fibromyalgia; other studies say that once-again Americans are getting caught up in a health-frenzy - and embracing the gluten-free lifestyle - with no real evidence to support it. My personal opinion is that there was enough evidence to make it worth trying. I'm at the point I would walk around on my hands all day if it would make me feel better for even a little while. (Thinking about it, that would probably give me a whole new outlook on life.) Now that I've spent two months avoiding gluten, dairy and meat protein, my opinion is that this diet is limiting, difficult to stick with, and definitely worthwhile. I've been more active and happier lately. The times I have given in and had a brownie or something with cheese, I've been miserable (and miserable to be around). One of the things that I find funny is that when I was growing up, my grandmother always insisted that I needed to give up bread because I was allergic to wheat. Who knew that she would be as right about that as she was about iced coffee?

As I learn more things I can eat, it's easier to do without the things I'm not allowed. One of my favorite meals has become coconut curry. It's so easy to make, and you can vary the vegetables depending on what's available at the farmer's market that week.

Coconut Curry

1 Tbs. red curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 Tbs brown sugar
Vegetables, chopped (onions, carrots, sweet potatoes, peppers, etc)
Firm Tofu, sliced and well-drained (press the liquid out of it -- trust me on this!)
1 Tbs. fish sauce

Empty can of coconut milk into a large saucepan, and heat to simmer. Mix in 1 tablespoon of red curry paste (use more or less, depending on how spicy you like your curry). Add in the basil and brown sugar, and simmer about 10 minutes. While the sauce is simmering, I like to stir-fry the veggies in a little olive oil. Add the vegetables, tofu, and fish sauce to the sauce and continue to simmer about 15-20 minutes. Serve with rice.

Instead of tofu, sometimes I throw in peeled shrimp since I can still eat seafood.

No comments: