Sunday, June 09, 2013

Brooklyn Botanical Gardens

Since I mentioned the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens yesterday, I thought I would share a few more of the photos that I took on my visit in April.  My daughter was very proud of the gardens, and justifiably so. I tend to think of New York as busy sidewalks and tall buildings, or underground subways filled with interesting people. I don't expect extensive gardens that rival the gardens down here in tropical Florida. 

 The 52-acre botanical garden is just a few blocks away from my daughter's apartment (lucky girl!) near Prospect Park. It was founded in 1910, so it's been around for a long time.


 My favorite garden was the tulip beds. When I lived in Kentucky, I planted ever-so-many tulip bulbs in my yard. (I'm tempted to say hundreds of bulbs, but that would be an exaggeration. It only seemed like hundreds because I'm not really a big fan of gardening -- I just liked the tulips!)


The pussy willow plants in the Japanese garden also brought back a lot of memories for me. As a child, pussy willows always meant spring. I remember my mom having vases filled with the fuzzy blossoms throughout the house.
 And of course, we saw the cherry blossoms in bloom. Every year Brooklyn Botanical Gardens has a Cherry Blossom Festival. Maybe next year I can time my visit in order to attend with my daughter.

 Even if I don't make the Festival, I know that the Gardens will be on my list of places I have to visit again.

No comments: