Friday, November 07, 2008

Day Four came way too soon.


The last day of our New York visit came too soon. But my daughter had to get back to work, mom and I had a plane to catch, and my other two were waiting at home for me.

Mom and I had one last adventure before we left, which was to get ourselves to the airport. My daughter gave me detailed, written out instructions before running off to work. Mom and I got to make one last trip to Bergen Bagels for breakfast, then it was off to the subways by ourselves.

And we did it! Transfers and all. Luckily New Yorkers are much friendlier than their reputation, because the subway did not say "via JFK" despite the written assurance that it would.

The plane ride home is only about 2, maybe 2 1/2 hours long. But it feels so much longer as it takes me away from my girl. I know kids grow up. And I'm so proud of how well my daughter's doing and how independent she is. But at the same time, I want her to be my little girl again, close enough to hug more than once or twice a year.

I know kids grow up. I just didn't realize how much it hurt to let them.

2 comments:

Old friend said...

I meant to comment the other day but didn't have time. So here is my modified message...

Happy Belated Birthday!
I'm a almost a month older so I get to acknowlege your birthday whether you want to or not!

Sandi said...

I will be gracious (as opposed to the snarled "I don't DO birthdays" that my co-workers received) and thank you for the kind wishes.

And in turn, I'll wish you a belated birthday as well. I hope you had as wonderful a celebration as mine (the NYC trip, not the blasted balloons).