Friday, August 22, 2008

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. (Bertrand Russell)


It's been an interesting week, to put it mildly. I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll finally be able to share some of it; or rather, to share the exciting/fun part of it. (The rest I have every intention of forgetting for all eternity.)

In the meantime, today is supposed to be Friday's Favorites. My favorite thing this week is Double Knitting. (I know, it's going to be another knitting post. I apologize to my non-fiber fanatic reader.)

Double knitting is a method of casting on with two different skeins of yarn, and then knitting two layers of fabric together. It's really fun! And after doing three or four stars, it's actually very easy. (Okay, "very" was an exaggeration. But it is easy.) It's just color work that is reversible. It looks very cool as you do it, almost as cool as knitting with multiple tiny dpns, and it's really fun. (I'm repeating myself, but it is currently my favorite thing after all.)

The thing that really cements this as my favorite thing for the week is that I'm doing the double knitting as a scarf for Special Olympics. Last year, the organizers of the Special Olympics World Winter Games asked for volunteers to contribute scarves for participating athletes. Expecting a couple of scarves from local knitters, they received over 1,000. This year, they've decided to go all out and are asking for 5,000 scarves so that all of the participating athletes and other "important" visitors (such as coaches) can all have a scarf.

The pattern I chose for my scarf is the Knit Star Scarf by Crafty Chick Knits. (This is a wonderful first double-knit pattern, by the way, and I wanted to be sure to give Angela credit.)
But the scarves can be knitted or crocheted in any pattern, as long as you use Red Heart Supersaver yarn in the official colors (Delft Blue #885 and White #311). The scarves should be mailed to the Special Olympics headquarters by January 15, 2009. (I'm giving so much information because I'm hoping that others will want to make scarves with me.)

I have a lot of fond memories of the Special Olympics. My Uncle Ricky used to compete when I was a child. I can still picture him showing off his medals for duckpin bowling (every single time he saw me, over and over). I got to be an official Hugger while in college in South Florida. I've served hot dogs, handed out medals, and generally cheered on athletes wherever I've lived. And I always come home feeling good about the world in general.

No comments: