Sunday, August 24, 2008

Never be entirely idle; but either be readin, or writing, or praying or meditating or endeavoring something for the public good. (T. a Kempis)


It's been a quiet, calm, yet productive day today. I didn't do anything too terribly exhausting, but I was able to complete some projects on my task list.

I was able to listen to podcasts while I was working, and that made the time just fly by very pleasurably. I've added a couple more podcasts to my itunes subscriptions.

Faery Knitting is one of my new favorites. Spinningerin reads a fairy tale, then discusses the symbolic and historical meaning of the tale. It really is interesting, even if English wasn't your favorite subject in school. (It was my favorite class, so I really get into all of this.) Beyond the fairy tale, Spinningerin chats about her life and goats, and of course knitting. Usually I delete a podcast from my ipod once I've listened to it; Faery Knitting is being kept to listen to again and again. (Hey, they're really great stories!)

Betty in the Sky with a Suitcase is another new favorite. And this one isn't even knitting related. Betty is a flight attendant who shares stories (her own as well as co-workers') about her many travel-related adventures. Most of these are just the short, funny anecdotes that you can imagine friends sharing as they relax together after work. My biggest complaint about this podcast is that it frequently causes me to burst into hearty laughter -- this is embarrassing if you're running errands with your earphones on, so that others don't know what you're laughing at.

No comments: