Saturday, August 23, 2008

People who count their chickens before they are hatched, act very wisely,

because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately.
(Oscar Wilde)



I was hoping to share the adventures of the past week, but I still don't have the happy ending I was hoping for. And with a line like that, I probably should fill in at least a few of the details so that nobody's imagination needs to work overtime.

School started this past week, and for the past month it's been touch and go whether my son was going to do his senior year or just drop out. He wants to join the Army, and we finally reached an agreement that he could sign up for delayed entry if he agreed to get his diploma. He tried to hold out for just a GED, but for a change his father agreed with me.

Since he's in school, and just turned 17, we've been working on the paperwork for him to enlist. I've spent several evenings sitting in the recruiter's office with my ex, which really isn't my idea of a fun night out. We finally had everything in order, and my son went off Friday to MEPS (military entrance processing station, if you're interested) for his physical and the final paperwork. I was expecting him to come home today as an Army guy.

But it seems that he has to return on Monday for a more in-depth physical. Poor kid; regardless of how I feel about it, he really has his heart set on joining the military. They did process the paperwork, pending final physician approval, so he will probably be able to join. But we'll have to wait until Monday to find out.

Neither of us is very good at waiting.

No comments: