Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Knitting fills my days, not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets. (Aurthor Unknown)


It's a WIP Wednesday, and I've been getting a lot accomplished. Or at least I feel like I'm finally getting something accomplished.

I'm halfway through the Special Olympics scarf. I turned the star graph around so that they'll all be facing the same way when the scarf is worn. Since I had just gotten the pattern memorized, this first reversed star has really thrown me off. And it's hard to tink (*knit backwards) with double knitting; although, like everything else, I find that the more I have to do it, the easier it gets.

The Mystery Socks That Never End are still moving along slowly. I'm about halfway through the first clue (out of four) on the second sock. When I pulled the first sock out for the photo, I broke one of my beautiful harmony needles, which really stinks. They're my favorite needles. Actually, I'm surprised I haven't broken several of them by now. The harmonies are a size 1 1/2, which is unbelievably tiny. I've heard of people knitting on double-0's (two sizes smaller than my tiny toothpicks), and that just seems like showing off.

Of course, it also means that I'll eventually have to give it a try. Because anybody who knows me knows that if you can do it, I can do it. (Or at least I have to try to do it).


With the Never Ending Socks on one set of needles, it's really doing a baby hat for charity. This one had interesting cables, so it did take me two days to get it done. I think the navy is a little dark for a newborn (my personal opinion only, of course), but I like it because of the cables. The designer, Marie Wright, has another cabled baby hat that I've added to my queue.


I worked on one other project this week, my Cari's Cabled Bag. I really love this bag, and I get a lot of compliments when I use it. The problem is that I had pretty much stopped using it because it was so hard to open. So Saturday I restitched the side seams, stopping about three quarters of the way up. This makes a world of difference. I can actually get my sock project bag, or a paperback book, or whatever, inside the bag without struggling. While I was at it, I made a quick and easy lining for the bag using some beautiful sunflower fabric I had. (It was purchased to make a scrub top, so I hope I still have enough for that.) I added a pocket for my cell phone, but otherwise pretty much just did a basic square lining. I think it really finishes the bag nicely, and it was well worth the effort of making these changes.

Naturally I still have a bunch of projects waiting. There's the Hippy Ripply Retro Socks. And the Sample Sock Blanket (which is a long-term project). I have a lap blanket waiting, and then a long line of yarn and patterns waiting patiently in a queue. The Mystery Stole 4 starts in September, and I'm looking forward to working on that.

And before I forget, tomorrow is the Boca Knitter's Leftover Ball, and I still need to decide what I'm bringing to share. So with that, I'm off to knit some more.

No comments: