Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Food is the most primitive form of comfort. (Sheila Graham)

It was a long day at work today, made longer because I didn't eat lunch. (Why is it staff always orders lunch delivered, except on the day that I don't have anything with me to eat?) So when I got home, I decided to indulge in a childhood favorite.

I love Pigs in a Blanket. They're wonderful hot from the oven, when the roll is soft and the cheese is melted and gooey. And they are just as good the next day, cold from the refrigerator and easily grabbed as a quick snack.

There really isn't a recipe the way we make them. Just take a package of hot dogs (I prefer the all beef type) and cut a length-wise slit down each. Stuff the slit with a small wedge of Velveeta. (Yes, it has to be Velveeta in order to be authentic.) Cover with refrigerator biscuits (I like the flaky Grands, but crescent rolls are also very good) and bake until the biscuits are done. (If you aren't sure how long or how hot, just follow the baking directions on the biscuit package.)

Traditionally, Pigs in the Blanket should be served either with potato salad (homemade, naturally) or baked beans & cheese macaroni. And if you're really hungry and home alone, potato chips. Just hide the empty bag before your children get home.

No comments: